When eggs themselves do lay,
And the groats jump into Mustard's jaws,
To you my court I'll pay!

Source: Singing Together, Autumn 1973, BBC Publications

Notes:

Identified as Irish.

masato sakurai

Posted - 10 Jul 05 - 11:40 am

Very probably it comes from The National Song Book, edited by C.V. Stanford (Boosey & Co., 1906, p. 145), where there's a note: "Founded on an old song, the words and air of which were given by Miss Honoria Galway, of Moville, Co. Donegal."

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 10 Jul 05 - 05:22 pm

It's a re-write of a form of Blow Away the Morning Dew (Child 112 Roud 11, The Baffled Knight); the tune is close enough to well-known forms to be recognisable. Most known examples are from England and Scotland, with some also found in the USA and Canada; Roud currently lists no Irish examples at all. There evidently is a Northern Irish branch, though: besides this, Sarah Makem had a version, The Shepherd Lad, which used much the same chorus.

A transcription is quoted at http://www.reenchantmentofsex.com/appendix.html, but this is made from a recording by Cilla Fisher, who learned it from Sarah Makem, so I don't know how accurate it is, or how far it follows the Makem text.

Honoria Galwey (1829-1925) published some arrangements of Irish melodies set to new words, including Old Irish Croonauns and Other Tunes (1910). She was a participant in the debate over the origins of The Londonderry Air.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z