Author Topic: Add: The Meadowlands

dmcg

Posted - 08 Jul 06 - 10:55 am

Out to the meadowlands we go,
Walking in the sunlight; Walk-ing in the sunlight;
Out to the meadowlands we go, Where the waving fields of barley grow.
Hey!

(Chorus)
Streamlets are rushing by, down from the mountain high,
Singing, they onward go, swiftly the waters flow,
Streamlets are rushing by, down from the mountain high,
Singing, they onward go, swiftly they flow.

Home from the meadowlands we go,
Strolling in the twilight,
Strolling in the twilight;
Home from the meadowlands we go,
Sweet the summer air in the evening's glow.
Hey!

Source: Singing Together, Summer 1979, BBC Publications

Notes:

The 'Hey!' is shouted, not sung.

English words by Margaret Fullerton, from Voices of America by Wolfe, Krone, and Fullerton. (c) 1963 Follett Publsihing Company.

dmcg

Posted - 08 Jul 06 - 11:05 am

The reference seems a little odd, so perhaps someone can add more information. The fact that the song requires English words and is in a book called 'Voices of America' leaves it unclear whether we are referring to a North America song (and if so is it from one of the Native Americans or an immigrant) or whether the song is from South America and is originally in, say, Spanish.

As a general approach, I do not usually post songs in which I am so uncertain of the origins, but it does seem to me someone may have access to the book Voices of America and can elaborate. It seems to be relatively easy to obtain (for example here)

Edited By DMcG - 08 Jul 06 - 11:07 am

Jon Freeman

Posted - 08 Jul 06 - 12:35 pm

The song also exists in Singing Together, Summer 1971 where it is described as a "Czechoslovakian folk song". I know nothing else about the song except that I do remember learning it in school.

dmcg

Posted - 08 Jul 06 - 01:10 pm

Thanks, Jon. I have updated the Summer 1971 thread to reflect the new database entry. I have to say that there is something about the tune that made me think 'German, maybe Austrian' rather than American.

masato sakurai

Posted - 12 Jul 06 - 01:17 pm

The Czech (Bohemian) title is "Aj Lucka Lucka," or "Aj l�º�¨ka, l�º�¨ka �¡irok�¡." A sound sample can be heard here (from A Cappella Party The Best Of The Ivy League).

masato sakurai

Posted - 12 Jul 06 - 02:07 pm

"Ej l�ºcka, l�ºcka sirok�¡" sung by Lillian Jakubcin (rec. 1939/08/31) is at Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections, where it is a "Slovak song."

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z