Yet still in my heart I will cherish
The fairest among them all,
The land of the mists and mountains
Forever her home shall be,
For she is the flower of Killarney,
And fairest of all to me.

Source: Singing Together, Autumn 1970, BBC Publications

Notes:

Described as 'Irish Folk Tune', no information is given about the lyrics.

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 05 Aug 06 - 10:23 pm

The tune is Gentle Maiden, which Edward Bunting got from a Miss Murphy of Dublin, in 1839: many songs have subsequently been set to it. Play it faster and its close relationship to Rosin the Beau becomes clear. The tune-family that includes both goes back a fair way in both Ireland and Britain, but Bunting's opinion that it is "ancient" and "pure Irish" was based solely on his theories on the structure of Irish melody, which Alfred Moffat (The Minstrelsy of Ireland, 4th edition, nd [the 1st edition was 1897], note to Thomas Moore's 'Oh! Love is a hunter boy') described as "often refuted"; and in those days "refuted" still meant "disproven".

The words quoted in Singing Together are as printed in Desmond MacMahon, The New National Songbook Part II, London: Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd, 1939; where they are described as "20th Cent[ury]". The song was issued by Elkin & Co in 1954 as sheet music arranged for SATB by Desmond MacMahon "with words by A[lfred] H Body" (COPAC listing) and it's likely enough that the words here are his; he certainly helped to select texts for the book and supplied a number of new translations and lyrics, though specific details are not usually given.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z