That is tossed to and fro,
May the angels now direct her
Wherever she may go!

Source:
Broadwood, L, 1893, English County Songs, London, Leadenhall Press

Notes:
From Sussex.

Lucy Broadwood wrote:

This fragment is either the beginning and end of one ballad, or the first three verses of one tacked on to the ending of another. The name of the song is that given to it by the choirman who sang it to Mr Sumner, the the connection between Emma;s faith and Mary's fickleness is not apparant.

jeff

Posted - 04 Oct 07 - 02:44 pm

The 2nd and 3rd verses are (more or less) what I sing as part of "The streams of lovely Nancy". My words for v.2 are :-
"On yonder high mountain a castle does stand./ It's build-ed of ivory from the diamond's black strand,/ Fine porches, fine arches, and the diamonds so bright,/ It's a pilot for sailors on a dark stormy night."
I have heard the last verse given here sung as part of "The streams of lovely Nancy", which is not as obscure a song as one might think (at least not to me). However, I now wonder if the story I thought I could discern in "Streams of Nancy" is incomplete, and is indeed only part of a longer ballad involving a "Faithful Emma".
I don't have access to any sources right now. Purely for my own interest - does any know who collected "The streams of lovely Nancy", and was it perchance in Cornwall ?

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 04 Oct 07 - 05:24 pm

See the database entry for this song, where you will find a link to a preset search of the online Roud Folk Song Index, which classes Faithful Emma' under Roud number 18820: that is, 'Streamers' / 'Green Mountain'. This group is closely related to the 'Streams of Lovely Nancy' group (Roud 688) and shares material with it. It's usefully considered as separate though related; some singers actually knew both songs.

I don't think there are any examples that are much more coherent than this one, though; at least not sufficiently to provide much of a clue as to what is actually going on. These songs are further related to all sorts of things, like 'Bonny Udny', 'Bonny Portmore', 'The Boys of Kilkenny', 'Yarmouth is a Pretty Town' and various others which, at one time or another, have drawn on the same stock of material. Various explanations have been suggested (some quite arcane), but the jury is still out. The subject requires a lot more work as things stand, but it won't be me that does it.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z