If you haven't got a penny
A ha'penny will do;
If you haven't got a ha'penny,
It's God bless you!
A soul, etc

Source: Broadwood, L, 1893, English County Songs, London, Leadenhall Press

Notes:

Lucy Broadwood's notes:

Words and Tune from Rev. M. P. Holme, Tattenhall, Cheshire.

The latter part of the second stanza is restored from Miss Burne's Shropshire Folk Lore, p 385. The rest of the song was sung exactly as it stands by a little girl in Tattenhall School in October, 1891. A full account of the custom of "souling" is given by Miss Burne, Shropshire Folk Lore, pp 378-390. It is still practised on All-Souls' Day in the district referred to, and traces of the custom are to be found in many parts of England. See also Halliwell's Popular Rhymes, pp 238 and 249.

Database entry is here.

Ed

Posted - 16 Mar 03 - 09:53 am

A.L. Lloyd comments, in his notes for The Watersons Frost and Fire album;

The end of October and start of November is the time of Hallowe'en, All Saints and All Souls, a time once thought full of magic, when the dead temporarily returned to the world of the living and roamed around the villages on the misty evenings. Till recently in parts of the Midlands and the Northwest, children went from door to door begging for soulcakes. [These] were food for the momentarily-returning dead, so that they would not feel rejected and thus be made angry. The little trichordal tune based simply on a scale of three adjacent notes within a minor third, is one of the most primitive we have.

masato sakurai

Posted - 16 Mar 03 - 01:54 pm

From Clement A. Miles, Christmas Customs and Traditions: Their History and Significance (originally published as Christmas in Ritual and Tradition, Christian and Pagan, 1921; Dover, 1976, p. 193):
Here is a curious rhyme which they sang in Shropshire as they went round to their neighbours, collecting contributions:--

"Soul! soul! for a soul-cake!
I pray, good missis, a soul-cake!
An apple or pear, a plum or a cherry,
Any good thing to mek us merry.
One for Peter, two for Paul,
Three for Him who made us all.
Up with the kettle, and down with the pan,
Give us good alms, and we'll be gone."

Shropshire is a county peculiarly rich in "souling" traditions, and one old lady had cakes made to give away to the souling-children up to the time of her death in 1884. At that period the custom of "souling" hd greatly declined in the county, and where it still existed the rewards were usually apples or money. Grown men, as well as children, sometimes went round, and the ditties sung often contained verses of good-wishes for the household practically identical with those sung by wassailers at Christmas.
Other souling songs are in Roy Palmer's Everyman's Book of English Country Songs (No. 139; from Middlewitch, Cheshire, 1886); and in Frederick Woods' Oxford Book of English Traditional Verse (No. 209; without tune; from C.S. Burne, Shropshire Folk-Lore).

A seemingly related song is in Joseph Ritson, Ancient Songs and Ballads ([1829]; Reeves and Turner, 1877, p. 354; without tune):
A CHRISTMAS CAROL

God bless the master of this house,
The misteress also,
And all the little children,
That round the table go:

And all your kin and kinfok,
That dwell both far and near;
I wish you a merry Christmas,
And a happy new year.
This verse is retitled "Good-Bye" and printed in The Oxford Book of Carols (1928, No. 16) as an appendix to "Wassail Song."

Edited By masato sakurai - 16/03/2003 14:01:49

Edited By masato sakurai - 16/03/2003 16:44:13

masato sakurai

Posted - 16 Mar 03 - 10:57 pm

From T.F. Thiselton Dyer, British Popular Customs, Present and Past (George Bell, 1876, p. 405):
Nov. 1.] ALL SAINTS' DAY.
[...]

CHESHIRE.

On All Souls' Eve, both children and grown-up people go from door to door, a-souling, i.e., begging for soul cakes, or anything else they can get. In some districts they perform a kind of play as well, but in all instances the following, or a similar song, is sung:--

"You gentlemen of England, pray you now draw near
To these few lines, and you soon shall hear
Sweet melody of music all on this evening clear,
For we are come a-souling for apples and strong beer.

Step down into yourn cellar, and see what you can find,
If your barrels are not empty, we hope you will prove kind;
We hope you will prove kind with your apples and strong beer,
We'll come no more a-souling until another year.

Cold winter it is coming out, dark, dirty, wet and cold,
To try your good nature, this night we do make bold;
This night we do make bold with your apples and strong beer,
And we'll come no more a-souling until another year.

All the houses that we've been at, we've had both meat and drink,
So now we're dry with travelling, we hope you'll on us think;
We hoe you'll on us think with your apples and strong beer,
For we'll come no more a-souling until another year.

God bless the master of this house, and the mistress also,
Ad all the little children that round the table go;
Likewise your men and maidens, your cattle and your store,
And all that lies within your gates we wish you ten times more;
We wish you ten times more with your apples and strong beer,
And we'll come no more a-souling until another year."

Jour. of the Arch. Assoc. 1850, vol. v. p. 252.
G.F. Northall, English Folk-Rhymes (Kegan Paul, Trench, Trübner, 1892, p. 216-228) quotes this and other songs and rhymes in the entries of All Saints' Day, All Souls' Day, St. Clement's Day, and St. Catherine's Day.

Edited By masato sakurai - 17/03/2003 14:13:27

Edited By masato sakurai - 17/03/2003 14:16:18

Guest Account
Posted - 08 Sep 05 - 04:47 am

I have a question about the souling song. There are many versions but the following part seems to be the same.

"One for Peter, two for Paul,
Three for Him who made us all"

I wonder the number of soul cakes. It means "Please give one soul cake to Peter, two cakes to Paul, and three cakes to God." or "Please give the first cake to Peter, the second cake to Paul, and the third one to God"?

If someone knows the answer, please let me know.

Jon Freeman

Posted - 08 Sep 05 - 05:12 am

I don't know but my own interpertation would be it doesn't matter as long as it rhymes and God gets a cake or three.

dmcg

Posted - 08 Sep 05 - 09:15 am

If someone knows the answer - Well, that counts me out. But my interpretion has always been the first to Peter, the second to Paul and the third to God.

As like as not, Jon is right and there is no particular significance to it. It is vaguely possible that it does have some meaning, though. Catholic churches used to - and some still do - have collection boxes labelled "Peter's Pence", contributions to which supported the church buildings, including Rome. In addition they frequently had two collections, one for the everyday expenses and one for a special purpose. So it is just possible that the song is a reference to setting things aside for various causes.

(Have I said often enough that I have no evidence at all for that lot? *g*)

Wayne Mitchell

Posted - 09 Sep 05 - 04:27 pm

I don't know either, but it's a begging song, so I've always assumed that it's not about getting cakes for the invoked names but about invoking names which will get more cakes for us.

Guest Account
Posted - 12 Oct 06 - 04:15 pm

I have a children's songbook (pre-1923) that includes the Christmas Carol version mentioned above. I was very surprised when I typed the music into ABC notation and played it to find out the tune for it was not the traditional tune I associated with the Souling Song. (Still trying to track down a copy of a pre-1923 source for the original music.)

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 13 Oct 06 - 02:38 am

There are many different tunes associated with "souling" songs, and most were published before 1923.

Tell us what your 'children's songbook' was (title, publisher, date, editor, and any other information provided in the book) and we may be able to tell you where it came from. "Original music" would be another matter, of course.

Guest Account
Posted - 14 Oct 06 - 03:35 am

The song title in the book I have is called Christmas Carol. The book attributes it to Cradle Songs and says Felix Borowski composed it for this particular book series. The book is called The Progressive Music Series Book Two by Horatio Parker. It looks like a music book used in schools. Was trying to find a version of the Souling Song similar to the one we sang at my school's choir, so I was hoping this would be it. However, the tunes were very different even though the words were similar.

philpugh

Posted - 12 Sep 07 - 05:39 pm

We (The Comberbach Soulcakers - Cheshire) use (virtually unchanged) the letting-in song recalled by Major Boyd in A County Parish.

We are one, two, three jolly good hearty lads and we're all of one mind
For this night we come a'souling, good nature to find
For this night we come a'souling as it does appear
And it's all that we are souling for is your ale and strong beer

Now the first that steps up is Lord Nelson you see
With a bunch of blue ribbons tied down to his knee
He's a star on his bosom, like silver doth shine
And I hope you will remember that it is Soulcaking time

And the next that steps up is a Miser you see
He wears his old rags to every degree
And when he does sell them; he sells them so dear
That no-one will buy them until this time next year

The tune is very similar to that published by Boyd.

These words and tune were in use by the Comberbach Soulcakers (Mummers) just after the Second World War (which is when Boyd 'collected' the plays around Cheshire) as one of our members (now sadly no longer with us) performed in the play during it's last performances and was part of the gang that revived the play in the mid 1980's.

We usually only sing all three verses at our local pub (Spinner and Bergamot) and possibly at one or two other 'favoured' pubs.

We do perform the song listed at the top of this item - but only in performance after the last night.

The two characters mentioned (Lord Nelson and a Miser) don't appear in the original play as collected by Boyd, but we have incorporated a Lord Nelson into ours as we needed more parts to accomodate our gang. He comes on as a bit of comic relief just before "Bee-I-El-Zee-Bub"
Edited By philpugh - 12 Sep 07 - 05:47 pm
Edited By philpugh - 12 Sep 07 - 05:52 pm

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z