3. Three for the Hebrew children

4. Four for the four that stood at the door

5. Five for the gospel preachers

6. Six for the six that never got fixed

7. Sev'n for the sev'n that never went to heav'n

8. Eight for the eight that stood at the gate

9. Nine for the nine that dressed so fine

10. Ten for the ten commandments

Source: The Second Penquin Book of Christmas Carols, ed. Elizabeth Poston.

Song database entry is here

masato sakurai

Posted - 27 Aug 03 - 08:35 am

Poston wrote in her notes (pp. 24-25; source not indicated):
The Negro version of the 'Carol of the Twelve Numbers', also in group form, sticks fairly closly to formula. Three is ascribable to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego of the Burning Fiery Furnace (Daniel III). The Hebrew version has the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Some English and Appalachian versions attach three to the corruption 'wisers' for the three Wise Men from the East (Matthew II.1-2). Four is generally accepted as referring to the Four Evangelists. Five, six, and seven are debatable--seven is also rhymed as 'went to heav'n'. Eight has been attached to Noah's family of eight in the Ark: Noah and his wife and his three sons, each son with his wife (Genesis VI.10; VII.7). Nine is thought to refer to the nine orders or choirs of Angels (Revelation V.11), traditionally depicted as beings in shining garments and usefully enumerated in the words of Athelstan Riley's hymn:
Ye watchers and ye holy ones,
Bright Seraphs, Cherubim and Thrones,
Raise the glad strain, Alleluia!
Cry out, Dominions, Princedoms, Powers,
Virtues, Archangels, Angels, choirs....
This version has a characteristic declaimed question line and then swings along in rhythm to its syncopated refrain.
Several black gospel quartets (such as Golden Gate Quartet, Spartanburg Famous Four, Gospel Light Jubilee Singers, Mitchell's Christian Singers, Heavenly Gospel Singers, Alphabetical Four) recorded this spiritual before World War II; the title usually being "Go Where I Send Thee" (Dennis Crumpton and Robert Summers' version is titled "Go I'll Send Thee"). Most interesting is the Library of Congress recording of Kelley Pace and group's "Holy Babe", which is on Various Artists - Negro Religious Songs and Services (Rounder) [with sound cilp]. It is transcribed in Alan Lomax's Folk Songs of North America (1960, p. 482). Mike, Peggy and Penny Seeger recorded it under this title (on American Folk Songs for Christmas). Jean Ritchie calls it "Little Bitty Baby" in Folk Songs of the Southern Appachians as sung by Jean Ritchie (Oak, 1965, p. 60).

Edited By masato sakurai - 27-Aug-2003 08:59:17 AM

masato sakurai

Posted - 27 Aug 03 - 06:09 pm

Recordings of "(The) Holy Babe" (by Jubilee Quartet; and by Davies Hill School Chorus) and "Children, I'm Goin' Way" (related song by Silver Star Singers) are at American Memory.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z