Royal Proclamation

Hear the royal proclamation,
The glad tidings of salvation,
Publishing to every creature,
To the ruined sons of nature;
Jesus reigns, he reigns victorious
Over heav'n and earth most glorious
Jesus reigns.

Source: Patterson, D W, 1979, The Shaker Spiritual, Princeton University Press, New Jersey

Notes:

This was first recorded in Ananias Davisson's Supplement to the Kentucky Harmony in 1820. Jackson felt the song "had all the earmarks of an eighteenth century fife-and-drum-corps tune"; Patterson, however, believed to to be related to "The Lowlands of Holland" and "Rose Connoley".

Database entry is here.

Mary in Kentucky

Posted - 08 Jul 03 - 10:34 pm

WOW, I'm enjoying the tunes already! I just may have to get this book too! Dave, does the book have the harmonies, as in shape-note singing?

dmcg

Posted - 08 Jul 03 - 11:30 pm

No, it doesn't have any harmonies. There is a description of the various notations used in the early part of the book. Some used a 7-shape system, others a 4-shape system. They also used a letter-based system (shades of ABC, folks!) and numerical systems, shorthand and so on. Patterson himself translitered them all into a conventional notation.

Edited By dmcg - 08/07/2003 23:28:24

masato sakurai

Posted - 08 Jul 03 - 11:54 pm

It's not a Shaker hymn. See Patterson's "Index of Non-Shaker Songs Cited" (p. 561). "Royal Proclamation" (harmonized, with other verses) is in Southern Harmony (no. 146).

Mary in Kentucky

Posted - 09 Jul 03 - 01:07 am

Ah, that's the harmony I wanted to hear!

dmcg

Posted - 09 Jul 03 - 08:10 am

Oops! That's not a very good start, is it? I'll make sure I check that index in future and make a note if appropriate.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z