But my fause lover stole my rose,
And ah! he left the thorn with me.

Source: The Scottish Students' Songbook. Pub. Bayley & Ferguson

Notes:
Words by Robert Burns (1792)

Song database entry is here

dmcg

Posted - 23 Jul 03 - 03:41 pm

One of a trio (this, "Linden Lea" and "Andrew Lammie") with a particularly strong association for me, from the first folk club I attended regularly in Middlesbrough.

Edited By dmcg - 23/07/2003 15:38:59

masato sakurai

Posted - 23 Jul 03 - 04:42 pm

It's in John Greig's Scots Minstrelsie, vol. I (1893).

p. 40
p. 41
notes (p. iii)

masato sakurai

Posted - 24 Jul 03 - 03:37 am

Jame Kinsley, in The Poems and Songs of Robert Burns (Oxford, 1968, vol. III, p. 1369), wrote:

When Burns revised the song for SMM (version B) he adjusted the metre to suit a different--and I think more appropriate--air, The Caledonian Hunt's Delight. This tune, first published in Gow's Strathspey Reels, 1788, is in SMM, 1792, no. 374*, and Aird, 1794, iv, no. 134. Writing to Thomson in November 1794, Burns noted the 'pathos' of his song, and gave this account of the tune: 'A good many yeras ago a Mr Jas Miller, Writer in [Edinburgh]...expressed an ardent ambition to be able to compose a Scots air.--Mr Clarke, partly by way of joke, told him, to keep to the black keys of the harpsichord, and preserve some kind of rhythm; and he would infalliably compose a Scots air.--Certain it is, that in a few days, Mr Miller produced the rudiments of an air, which Mr Clarke, with some touches and corrections, fashioned into the tune in question.' But Burns had also heard the air identified as Irish (which Aird marks it) and Manx (Letter 646).

Corrections to words:

Ye mind me o' departed joys,

And ilka bird sang o' its love,

Edited By masato sakurai - 24/07/2003 05:41:11

Mary in Kentucky

Posted - 24 Jul 03 - 04:07 am

As Masato posted, Burns noted the 'pathos' of his song. I like that word 'pathos,' maybe that's why the song appeals to me. Also I like the advice given to Burns, keep to the black keys of the harpsichord, and preserve some kind of rhythm.

Dave, Andrew Lammie sounds like another tune we've heard here recently. I checked Dowie Dens of Yarrow, and that's close, but I'm hearing a more exact tune. Wonder what it is or where I heard it?

Edited By Mary in Kentucky - 24/07/2003 04:06:08

Mary in Kentucky

Posted - 24 Jul 03 - 04:30 am

I FOUND IT!!!!!! It's on the Mudcat Plum CD ~ Braes of Yarrow ~ sung by Margaret MacArthur. Gorgeous. I knew I kept hearing words to that tune.

(Sorry for the drift......back to Bonnie Doon (Ye Banks and Braes) now)

Edited By Mary in Kentucky - 24/07/2003 10:09:50

Jon Freeman

Posted - 24 Jul 03 - 04:44 pm

I've corrected the spelling mistakes in the database entry - thanks Masato.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z