Author Topic: Add: I've Set My Face For Zion's Kingdom

dmcg

Posted - 03 Aug 03 - 09:34 am

I've Set My Face For Zion's Kingdom

I've set my face for Zion's kingdom
Holy bright and glorious
Tho boisterous winds may often blow
To that bright home I'm bound to go

Source: Patterson, D W, 1979, The Shaker Spiritual, Princeton University Press, New Jersey

Notes:

(As usual, the punctuation does not match modern conventions.)

Patterson wrote:

The opening phrase of this tune resembles several in the shape-note tradition - "Christian Prospect", "Christian Hope" and "Who's like Jesus" - and these are fashioned from the English morris-tune "Glorishears." The Shaker singer who reworked the tune stock to make this fine marching song was Bestsy Spaulding of Pleasant Hill. The song dates from 1849, when she was twenty-four. She had come to the village at the age of eleven and would die there in 1904 after serving for thirty years as an eldress. A Shaker journal calls her "One of the most substantial sistes at that place."

Analogues: "Christian Propect" (p. 175), "Christian's Hope" (p. 176) in Jackson, Spiritual Folk-Songs and "Who's Like Jesus" in Jackson Down-East, p. 102

Database entry is here.

There is a good version (IMO!) of "Christian's Hope" on The Waterson LP "Sound Sound Your Instruments of Joy"

Edited By dmcg - 8/3/2003 6:32:23 PM

masato sakurai

Posted - 03 Aug 03 - 11:00 am

From the On-line Southern Harmony (melody is in the middle):
Christian Prospect (Southern Harmony no. 323)

masato sakurai

Posted - 03 Aug 03 - 01:01 pm

See The Watersons -- Christian's Hope (notes & lyrics). "Christian's Hope" is in Denson Revision (revised ed. of Original Sacred Harp of 1911; 1971) and 1991 Edition (1991) of The Sacred Harp, but "The Christian's Hope" in Revised Cooper Edition (2000) is a different hymn.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z