Author Topic: Add: All on a Misty Morning

dmcg

Posted - 19 Sep 03 - 09:14 am

All on a misty morning, when cloudy was the wather,
I met an old man walking that cloth-ed was in leather
And ne'er a shirt upon his back but wool unto his skin,
With, how d'ye do? and how d'ye do?And how d'ye do again?

I went a little further,And there I met a maid
Was going then a-milking, A-milking, Sir, she said;
Then I began to compliment, and she begain to sing;
With, How do you do? (etc)

I told her I would married be, and she should be my bride,
And long we should not tarry, and twenty things beside;
I'll plow and sow and reap and mow, while thou shalt sit and spin;

Kind Sir, I have a mother, beside a father still;
These freinds above all other, pray ask for their good will;
For if I be undutiful to them, it is a sin;
With, how do you do? (etc)

Her parents being willing, the parties were agreed,
Her portion thirty shilling, we married were with speed;
Then Will the piper he did play, the others dance and sing,

Then lusty Ralph and Robin, with many damsels gay,
Did ride on Roan and Dobbin, to celebrate the day;
When being met together, their caps they off did fling,

Source: Sabine Baring Gould, 1895, Old English Songs from English Minstrelsie

Notes:

This is taken from the selection of the eight volume work by Baring Gould of the same name, reprinted by Llanerch Publishers.

Notes are not given in the selection, but are in the full eight volume work to which I do not have access. Therefore I can give very little information about where and when this song was collected.

The words are attributed to T D'Urfey and it is described as 'An Old English Air'.

Databse entry is here.

dmcg

Posted - 19 Sep 03 - 09:35 am

"Words by T D'Urfey" is almost certainly a reference to "Pills to Purge Melancholy", a six volume work published in 1719, but this needs to be confirmed before I put it in the database

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 19 Sep 03 - 10:41 am

This song is no. 13910 in the Roud Index; though the only examples listed at present are the above, D'Urfey's Wiltshire Wedding and a reference in Dicey & Marshall's Catalogue of Old Ballads.

Baring Gould has shortened the song rather considerably; The Wiltshire Wedding, which appears in Pills to Purge Melancholy 1719-20, IV, 148-151, has fifteen verses.

Some of you will remember the nursery rhyme:

One misty, moisty morning,
When cloudy was the weather,
There I met an old man
Clothed all in leather;
Clothed all in leather,
With cap under his chin.
How do you do, and how do you do,
And how do you do again?

Iona and Peter Opie (Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes, no. 359) add that The Wiltshire Wedding appeared on a broadside c.1680, and was sung to the tune of The Fryar and the Nun (Playford's Dancing Master, 1651) which is mentioned in the Apophthegmes of Erasmus.

A broadside copy (printer and date unknown) can be seen at  Bodleian Library Broadside Ballads:

The Wiltshire wedding: between Daniel Do-well and Doll the dairy-maid with the Consent of her Old Father Leather-Coat, and her dear and tender Mother Plodwell. (Douce Ballads 2(256b))

Simpson (The British Broadside Ballad and Its Music, 1966, 238-140), prints the tune from the 1651 Dancing Master, and mentions that it was used in The Beggar's Opera (1728), The Jovial Crew (1731), and in Carey's The Honest Yorkshire-Man (1736 ed.) It was also used for The Pope's Pedigree (Pills, III, 63) and appeared on "a late eighteenth-century song sheet, Sir John Barleycorn."

masato sakurai

Posted - 21 Sep 03 - 02:00 am

From The Beggar's Opera (Act II, Scene IV):

X:1
T:AIR XXIII. All in a misty morning, &c.
M:C
L:1/4
B:John Gay, The Beggar's Opera (1729 ed., supplement, p. 22; rpt. Dover, 1973)
K:D
F/G/|A A A A |A2 A G/A/|B A G A|
w:Be - fore the barn-door crow-ing, The_ Cock by Hens at-
B2 B c/d/|c A A A|A2 A A|G E E F|
w:tend-ed, His_ eyes a-round him throw-ing, Stands for a while sus-
G2 G A/G/|F D D E|F G A G/F/|E D C D|
w:pend-ed Then_ one he sin-gles from the crew, and_ cheers the hap-py
E3 F/G/|F D D E|F G A G/F/|B A ^G A|A3|]
w:Hen; With_ how d'you do, and how d'you do, And_ how d'you do a-gain.

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 26 Sep 03 - 06:20 pm

The song appears in Baring Gould's English Minstrelsie vol. 7, xxii and 88-9. Baring Gould wrote:

"An old lady told me that seventy years ago this song was sung to her by her grandmother in Devonshire. Her father and mother were Quakers, the latter rather for peace than from conviction. No singing was suffered in the house, least of all profane songs. However, the grandmother used, when the father was out, to sing some songs to the child, and of course that child, knowing them to be contraband, prized them highly, and has never forgotten them. The old lady who gave me the song and air had not the least notion of the antiquity of both. The song is in D'Urfey's Pills to Purge Melancholy, and is called The Wiltshire Wedding. The tune employed by him was The Friar and the Nun, two lines of which are quoted in Chettle's Kind-hart's Dream, 1592. The tune is in The Dancing-Master from 1650 to 1728; in Musick's Delight on the Cithren, 1666. Henry Carey wrote a song to this tune in his The Honest Yorkshireman, 1735, and the air is worked into The Beggar's Opera, The Jovial Crew, and many others. The song Jump Jim Crow, written by Rice, and sung by him in character, was set by J. Blewitt to a tune he manufactured out of this very old melody.

"MacKay, in his Popular Delusions, says: 'Several songs sprang up in due succession, but none of them, with the exception of one, entitled, All round my Hat, enjoyed any extraordinary share of favour, until an American actor introduced a vile song called Jim Crow. The singer sang his verses in appropriate costume, with grotesque gesticulations, and a sudden whirl of his body at the close of each verse. It took the taste of the town immediately, and for months the ears of orderly people were stunned by the senseless chorus-

Turn about and wheel about,
And do just so-
Turn about and wheel about,
And jump, Jim Crow!' "

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z