Author Topic: Add: Avenging and Bright

dmcg

Posted - 07 Dec 04 - 08:50 am

Avenging and bright fall the swift sword of Erin
On him who the brave sons of Usna betrayed;
For ev'ry fond eye he hath wakened a tear in,
A drop from his heart wounds shall weep o'er her blade.

By the red cloud that hung over Conor's dark dwelling,
When Ulad's three champions lay sleeping in gore-
By the billows of war, which so often, high swelling,
Have wafted these heroes to victory's shore.

We swear to avenge them! No joy shall be tasted,
The harp shall be silent, the maiden unwed;
Our halls shall be mute, and our fields shall lie wasted
Till vengeance is wreak'd on the murderer's head.

Source: Singing Together, Spring 1972, BBC Publications

Notes:

Described as "Irish Traditional tune. Words by Thomas More."

dmcg

Posted - 07 Dec 04 - 09:04 am

Copied from a web site giving commentary on this poem:

The words of this song were suggested by the very ancient Irish story called "Deirdri, or the Lamentable Fate of the Sons of Usnach," which has been translated literally from the Gaelic, by Mr. O'Flanagan (see vol. i. of Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Dublin), and upon which it appears that the "Darthula of Macpherson" is founded. The treachery of Conor, King of Ulster, in putting to death the three sons of Usna, was the cause of a desolating war against Ulster, which terminated in the destruction of Eman. "The story (says Mr. O'Flanagan) has been, from time immemorial, held in high repute as one of the three tragic stories of the Irish. These are, 'The death of the children of Touran;' 'The death of the children of Lear' (both regarding Tuatha de Danane) and this, 'The death of the children of Usnach,' which is a Milesian story." It will be recollected that among these Melodies, there is a ballad upon the story of the children of Lear or Lir: "Silent, oh Moyle!" etc.

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 07 Dec 04 - 01:53 pm

"Moore's song, which was suggested by the well-known Irish story of 'Deirdre,' was written for the fourth number of the Melodies published Nov 1811. He obtained the air from Holden's Irish Airs, vol ii, 1806, where it is printed as 'Crookaun a Venéé' (Cruachan na Feinne, or 'Mount of the Fenians'). In Panorma's National Airs it is called 'Bryan Borue.'

Alfred Moffat, The Minstrelsy of Ireland, 4th (enlarged) edition, n.d. p 20.

masato sakurai

Posted - 07 Dec 04 - 06:20 pm

Originally there is one more verse (verse four):
Yes, monarch! tho' sweet are our home recollections,
Though sweet are the tears that from tenderness fall;
Though sweet are our friendships, our hopes, our affections,
Revenge on a tyrant is sweetest of all!
The note above was, I think, written by Moore himself. Every edition I have (Moore's Irish Melodies, Longmans, 1873; Poetical Works, William P. Nimmo, 1875; Moore's Irish Melodies, ed. by J.W. Glover, J. Duffy & Co., 1859; Selection of Irish Melodies, vol. II, n.d.; the last two are songbooks) contains it.

masato sakurai

Posted - 11 Dec 04 - 03:18 am

The 1869 edition of Irish Melodies and Sacred Songs also has that note. Go to page 49.

masato sakurai

Posted - 12 Dec 04 - 02:16 am

The tune is also set by Beethoven to "O Who, my dear Dermot" (in 12 Irish Songs, WoO 154 No. 5; text by William Smyth).

masato sakurai

Posted - 12 Dec 04 - 06:15 am

X:1
T:CROOKAUN A VENÉÉ
T:[? Cruachán na Féinne -- Mount of the Fenians; Avenging and bright]
S:Holden's Collection of the Most Esteem'd Old Irish Melodies, Bks. II, c1807
B:Fleischmann, Sources of Irish Traditional Music c. 1600-1855, vol. 2, 1998, p. 829 [no. 4561]
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:Dm
A2 | d2 defd | e2 a2 ag|f2 d2 d2|c2 A2 A2|
d2 defd|e2 a2 ag|e2 d2 d2| d4:||: e2|
f2 f3/2g/af|e2 c2 A2 |BABdcB|A2 F2 F2|
f2 fgaf|e2 c2 A2|B3/2A/G3/2F/E3/2D/|{D}d4:|]

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z