I'd take the whole - forswear the sack."

"Thou art the boy," the old man said,
"For thou hast full aquired the trade.
The mill is thine," the old man cried,
He laugh'd gave up the ghost, and died.

Source: Songs Of The West, S Baring Gould

Notes:

Baring Gould notes:

Taken down, music and words for J. Helmore, miller, South Brent. The words occur in the Roburgh Collection, iii. p. 681. It is included in Bell' "Songs of the English Peasantry," p. 194; and is the Northumbrian Minsterly," Newcastle, 1882. In the North of England it is sung to the ir of "The Oxfordshire Tragedy," Chappell, p. 191. Our air bears no resemblance to this.

%%scale 1
X:1
T:The Miller And His Sons
B:Songs Of The West, S Baring Gould
S:Taken down from J Helmore, miller, South Brent
F:/songs
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:Ab
A|c B B2B c|B A A3A|G B A3B|E E E3A|c d e3e|d e c3A|c B d3G|B A A3A|c e e3e|d e c3A|c B d3G|B A A3z|]
w:There was a mil-ler, as you shall hear, Long time he lived in De-von-shire, He was took sick and dead-ly ill, And had no time to write his will! He was took sick and dead-ly ill, And had no time to write his will.

Added to database here

masato sakurai

Posted - 16 Dec 02 - 01:56 pm

There are two editions of "The miller's advice to his three sons" at the Bodleian Library Broadisde Ballads site:

Printer: Dicey, W. and C. (London)
Date: between 1736 and 1763
Imprint: Printed and Sold at the Printing-Office in Bow Church-Yard, London
Illus. Ballads on sheet: 1
Copies: Harding B 5(7)
Ballads: 1. The miller's advice to his three sons, in taking of toll ("There was a miller, who had three sons ...")
Subject: Millers; Economy and trade

Printer: [s.n.] ([s.l.])
Date: [s.a.]
Illus. Ballads on sheet: 1
Copies: Douce Ballads 4(44)
Ballads: 1. The miller's advice to his three sons, in taking of toll ("There was a miller who had three sons ...")
Subject: Millers; Economy and trade

~Masato

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 16 Dec 02 - 04:42 pm

Roud 138, Laws Q21.

The text from Ancient Poems, Ballads and Songs of the Peasantry of England, referred to above, can be seen at both Bell at Poets' Corner and Bell at World Wide School:

The Miller and His Sons

The Miller and His Sons

Widespread in tradition in England and the USA; also found occasionally in Scotland and Canada. There are two recent American variants at The Max Hunter Folk Song Collection:

The Miller's Son As sung by Bill Baker, Saint Paul, Arkansas on October 27, 1973.

There Was a Miller As sung by Mr. Fred Smith, Bentonville, Arkansas on January 20, 1960.

masato sakurai

Posted - 16 Dec 02 - 05:09 pm

From G. Malcolm Laws, Jr., American Balladry from British Broadsides (American Folklore Society, pp. 282-283):

Q 21
THE MILLER'S WILL
(The Miller's Three Sons)

To decide which of his three sons should be left the mill, the dying miller asks each how much toll he would take. Heck answers that he would take a peck from each bushel and Ralph says he'd steal half. The miller is displeased until the youngest son says he would take three pecks and leave one. His father says he has learned his trade well and gives him the mill.

There was an old miller and he was well known;
He had three sons who were well nigh grown;
He came to die--to make his will;
He had nothing to give but an old tub mill

Refrain
Fa-de-re-de-ri-you-die-you-die.
Fa-de-re-de-ri.

Henry, Folk-Songs. 192, 10 (N.C.); 10 Tenn.?). Belden, 244, 8; 7; 8 (Mo.) Refs. Brown, 441, 10 and ref.; 8; add. sts. (N.C.). Chappell, 183, 4 (N.C.). Cox, 450, 71/2 and ref.; 7 and ref. (W. Va.) Tune, p. 531. Creighton and Senior, 234, 10, m. (N.S.) . Creighton, 203, 10 and ref., m. (N.S.). Eddy, 167, 9, m.; 10, m. (O.). Flanders-Barry, 11, 10, m. (Vt.) Notes and refs. Gardner, 247, 10, m. (Mich.). Morris, 381, 7, m.; 2 (Fla.). Randolph I, 359, 7, m.; 2; I (Ark.) ; 20 couplets and ref., m. (Mo.). Scarborough, 240, 9 (Ky.); 7 (N.C.). Sharp II, 221, 11, m. (Ky.); 10, m. (N.C.). Thomas, Devil's Ditties. 80, 9, m. (Ky.). JAF 35, 390, 9 and ref., m. (O.) Refs. JAF 46, 11 (N.C.).
Baring-Gould, 24, 5d, m. (W. of Eng.). Greig, xli, 10 sts. (Scot.). Williams, 192, 10 (Wilts.).
Broadsides: (B) No imprint, "The Miller's Advice to his Three Sons, in Taking of Toll." (Item 1988 in the Harvard Catalogue). Roxburghe Ballads VIII, 611, 10 sts. (Aldermary Churchyard).

~Masato

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z