Author Topic: Add: Young Banker

dmcg

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 10:47 am

(Lyrics for first verse as shown in music. No other verses listed in the Journal.)

Source: Journal of the English Folk Dance and Song Society, Dec 1936

Notes:

Anne Gilchrist wrote:

I have not been able to trace this ballad - which judging from Young Banker's gold-laced hat must be fairly old. I found the tune and one verse in Mr Charles Lolley's script amoungst the MSS. sent to me by Miss Kidson. Mr Lolley contributed some good folk-songs to Mr Kidson's Traditional Tunes.

Database entry is here.

Edited By dmcg - 13-Jan-2004 11:22:55 AM

Mr Happy

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 11:23 am

Can't see any song at all. Where is it?

dmcg

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 11:25 am

I had made an error which I hope I have fixed - can you see the song now?

(I got interrupted and came back to the thing half an hour later thinking I had done more of the 'release' than I had.)

Edited By dmcg - 13-Jan-2004 11:28:25 AM

Mr Happy

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 11:27 am

The Watersons did it on LP Green Fields 1981

Here's their version:

As I walked out one morning fair,
To view the green fields and take fresh air,
I saw young banker standing there,
And his true love was a lady fair.

Chorus:
Young banker he had (such) an handsome face,
(And) all around his hat he wore a band of lace,
Beside such an handsome head of hair,
For my young banker I will go there.
He said me pretty fair maid will you go on deck,
With a chain of gold around your neck,
Whatever you do I will prove true,
But the answer that she gave, I'll have none of you.

Chorus

Young banker turned around for to go away,
But she called after him for to bid him stay,
Oh stay oh stay and I will prove true,
But the answer that she gave, I'll have none of you.

Chorus

Now she thought that she heard a foreman say,
Come pack up your clothes and come away,
It pierced her through the very heart,
To think that young banker and her should part.

Chorus

So come all you pretty fair maids your senses of loss,
Since the day in love you have been crossed,
For you may lament and you may say,
Forever rue the day that you said nay.

Chorus

dmcg

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 11:32 am

Another version is on the CD 'Sharp Practice' (WGS312CD) by Mary Humphries and Anahata. This is not being displayed through the 'GraceNotes' CD search, presumably because it is not on a well-known label.

Mr Happy

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 11:33 am

no still can't see yours. nothing on database link either

Jon Freeman

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 11:50 am

What do you mean by not seing the words Mr Happy? The only words Dave hase given are in the abc. If you go to the song DB, and ask for a png graphic, you should get it.

Do you think maybe we could add the Waterson set as an example of lyrics in the database and explain what we have done in the notes, i.e. a combined entry?

Jon

dmcg

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 11:59 am

I've put Mr Happy's lyrics into the database. Have a look, one and all, and see if you find this clear enough.

Jon Freeman

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 12:08 pm

I'm happy with that but will wait to see what others think.

Mr Happy

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 01:09 pm

Ok-all's there in db now, Thanks.

Malcolm Douglas
Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 05:28 pm

It appears that one verse only is extant of the versions Kidson got from Kate Thompson (Knaresboro) and Charles Lolley. The Watersons indicate that their recording is an arrangement of the Kidson set, but they don't say where they got the rest of the words. I'm reasonably sure that they come (all but the first verse) from a set noted by Alfred Atkinson from "a Maid-Servant" at the Isle of Axholme, Lincolnshire, in 1904; in which case "foreman" is a modification or mis-hearing of "foreign man". There is some ambiguity in Lucy Broadwood's comment, "The words here printed were taken down this year by Mr Griffiths in Herefordshire, from the singing of Mr Probert"; his tune is also given, with the first verse, which is the same as that used by the Watersons, while the Axholme first verse is the same as the broadside edition. (Journal of the Folk Song Society, II (7) 1905 91-3).

The song appeared on broadsides, and copies can be seen at  Bodleian Library Broadside Ballads:

A new song called The banking boy

Number 3321 in the Roud Index. Beside Yorkshire, examples are recorded from Lincolnshire, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire and Somerset.

Ed

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 08:44 pm

I'm not convinced as to the wisdom of only including the words in the ABC.

It's not very user friendly; Lyrics for first verse as shown in music would probably make little sense to a new user.

Also, I doubt if most search engines would find them.

Would it not be better to have them in the lyrics field as well?

dmcg

Posted - 13 Jan 04 - 10:07 pm

You are right about the search engines, I'm sure. I've only done this - unless a search shows otherwise! - for this and Sir James the Rose. I will dig out a set of lyrics for that as well.

Browse Titles: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z